Saturday, December 13, 2014

I'm Afraid so, Captain - Wonderful, Marvelous Phobias - Chapter 3

More phobias, you say? But of course. Let's see what we can dig up.


Let's begin with a pair that Vampires might ascribe to:

Esophobia - Fear of Daylight.

Staurophobia - Fear of Crosses






And now a couple that I'm not really sure what they are. I'd love an explanation, dear reader, so if you know leave me a comment.





Walloonophobia - You guessed it, Fear of Walloons

Here's one that both delights me and puzzles me. Zemmiphobia - Fear of the Great Mole Rat. Really? This sounds like something a tribe in New Guinea might worship. "Oh Great Mole Rat, hear my prayer."

As a mathematician, I object to this next one most strenuously. Octophobia - Fear of the Number 8. Several questions come to mind, beginning with WHY? 

Compared to Octophobia, the next few make some semblance of sense.








Pteronophobia - Fear of Being Tickled by a Feather. I know what you're thinking. "That wouldn't be so bad." But when I think about it I'm always tied naked to a chair. Oh, did I reveal too much?

 Myxophobia - Fear of Slime. I mean come on, slime for pete's sake. The stuff is gooey, and drips from your face and is so hard to get off your pajamas.

Enosiophobia - Fear of Having Committed Some Unpardonable Sin. I'm not the only one that has this one, am I?

And now a few that just make me go Hmmmmmm.

Levophobia - Fear of the Left Side of Your Body. In an earlier post we discussed Dextrophobia - Fear of the Right Side of Your Body. So if you had that one and Levophobia you really would have nowhere to turn. Oh my God, I really am clever.

Linonophobia - Fear of String. If you're like me, you're sad for kitties who have this one. And maybe kite flyers. How about String Theorists?

Peladophobia - Fear of Bald People. For reasons I don't think I have to mention, I hope I don't get this one. I could never look in a mirror again. 




For this last one, I want you to imagine a world where everyone has  a Fear of Names. We wouldn't name our children. We address one another as "Hey you!". What would they put on our driver's licenses? I could go on and on, but you get the picture (oh yeah, that's what they'd put on our driver's licenses). This one's called Nomatophobia. Okay, one more. There would be no Alex Trebeck.

Goodbye for now. Be well and fear not.

No comments:

Post a Comment