Sunday, November 16, 2014

Big Hero 6

A few weeks ago I listed my all time favorite animated movies - 2000 to 2014. A few that made the cut were Toy Story 3, Up, Monster House, and Brave. If I were writing this list today, I would have to add Big Hero 6 to that list.

When I mentioned that I planned to go see this wonderful movie to a few friends of mine, they asked if I were taking my grandchildren. I wasn't. 

I had been anticipating seeing this movie for a few weeks and I was taking a friend of mine. He is in his seventies.

Before I go into my review, I'd like to mention that John Lassiter of Pixar fame is connected with the making Big Hero 6 so those of you who have been holding back from seeing this fine little flic can be assured that no corners were cut and the quality of the storyline is excellent. 

If you haven't seen any coming attractions, here is a synopsis. In San Fransokyo, a city of the future, Hero a young tech prodigy, a nurturing robot, and a band of geeks must confront and bring down an evil super-villian who has killed Hero's brother and threatens their world. While the story is funny and action packed, the robot is the star.

The storyline is both funny and touching with writing that seemed to appeal to the kids in the audience and yet was strong enough to keep my attention. The young group of friends are charming, heroic, witty, intelligent, and in their own way wise. The robot, who resembles a giant marshmallow, is hilarious. In the end they save the day while maintaining their integrity. I would recommend this movie without reservation for a child of any age.

Lastly, the animation is splendid. I loved the color palette, the textures, the sequencing, and look of the characters.

Catch this fine animated film.

1 comment: